How will changing federal agencies affect my retirement?


The following is a question submitted by a Federal Times reader about retirement and other issues facing the federal workforce. He is answered by Reg Jones, founding member of the Executive Service and columnist for the Federal Times since 1995.

Question: My situation is that I have over 32 years of Federal Civil Service, about 10 with the DoD and the rest with the DOI. My plan is to retire in the winter of 2023 and maybe later that year try to get rehired as a federal civilian with the DoD. If I retire from the DOI and then am re-employed by the DoD, once I finally leave the DoD in the future, will I then be classified as retired from the DoD and no longer as a DOI? Will my retirement documents and my SF50 show that I am a retired DoD civilian? What if I was rehired and after only one full pay period I chose to leave, to retire for good, would my documents document that I am now a retired DoD?

Reply from Reg: Retirees are no longer affiliated with an agency. Your ID card will say “The person named below is a member of the Civil Service Retirement System or the Federal Employees Retirement System”. Below is your CSA (Public Service Annuitant) Claim Number and full name.

If you are rehired by the federal government, how your salary will be treated depends on the nature of the rehire. As a general rule, your salary would be reduced by the amount of your pension. This would have no impact on your pension or on your right to continue to receive what you currently receive under the special pension supplement.

Because you are covered by FERS, pension deductions would be taken from your salary. When you leave, your pension would be recalculated to include this period of service. However, if you are rehired in a position allowing you to receive both your pension and the salary of the new position, no pension deduction will be deducted from your salary and, when you retire again, you will not benefit from any retirement credit in this regard. service period.

You are entitled to a flat-rate allowance for unused annual leave. It’s thrown forward – day after day – as if you were still on the job list. Therefore, if you return to work before the end of this covered period, you will be required to fully repay the dollar value of the unused portion before assuming your new position.

Have a question for the Federal Times expert?

Send your inquiries to: [email protected]

Reg Jones is the resident expert on retirement and the federal government at the Federal Times. From 1979 to 1995, he was deputy director of the US Office of Personnel Management, responsible for recruitment and examinations, white and blue collar compensation, retirement, insurance and other matters. From 1977 to 1979, he was deputy director of the Bureau of Policies and Standards of the US Civil Service Commission. The opinions expressed are his own.


Comments are closed.