NORRISTOWN, Pennsylvania — More than $850,000 for street and sidewalk repairs, nearly $500,000 for emergency shelters and $400,000 for sewer work are among the more than $2.3 million community development block grants for Montgomery County announced Thursday.
County commissioners announced $2,335,808 from the Department of Housing and Urban Development for 19 projects.
They include eight municipal improvement projects, seven utility projects, three housing renovation projects, and fair housing compliance.
The CDBG program provides annual formula-based grants to states, cities, and counties to develop livable communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment and expanding economic opportunity, primarily for low- and middle-income people.
In 2022, Montgomery County received requests totaling $3,651,684 from municipalities, nonprofits, and utility organizations.
Projects were evaluated in terms of impact, completeness, feasibility, consistency of county and local planning, project readiness, and funding attributes. Projects that focused on affordability and neighborhood revitalization impacting historically marginalized populations received increased attention.
The projects receiving grants are:
- Bridgeport: Borough-wide street improvements, $200,000
- East of Greenville: Blaker Drive Street Improvements, $200,000.
- Main Line Family Promise: Emergency shelter operations for households with children, $30,000.
- Montgomery County Family Promise: Emergency shelter operations for households with children, $40,000.
- Genesis Housing Corporation: Homeowner Building Repair Program, $200,000.
- Pennsylvania Center for Housing Equality: Fair Housing Compliance and Training, $50,000.
- Indian Creek Foundation: Building renovations, $60,000.
- Jenkinstown: Sidewalk improvements – ramps, $200,000.
- Laurel House: Emergency housing operations for households fleeing domestic violence, $37,500.
- Montgomery County Housing Authority: Building renovations, $200,000.
- North Hills Collective: Youth Education and Recreation Program, $25,000.
- Pottsville: Storm sewer upgrades, $200,000.
- Resources for human development: Emergency shelter operations for single adults, $72,000.
- Royersford: Church Street Improvements, $64,458.
- Norristown Salvation Army: Emergency shelter operations for households with children, $133,850.
- Pottstown Salvation Army: Emergency shelter operations for households with children, $158,650.
- Township of Springfield: Willow Grove Avenue Blight Removal, $78,950.
- Conshohocken West: Sidewalk improvements – ramps, $185,400.
- Township of West Pottsgrove: Sanitary sewer upgrades, $200,000